Enrollment for Students Learning English

Is Your Child Learning English?

Our admissions processes and enrollment are open to all NYC students, including those whose home language is not English.

  • Students learning English participate in our admissions processes in the same way as students who are proficient in English.
  • No program may deny admission, registration, or enrollment to a student based on the student’s fluency or perceived fluency in English.

An English language learner (ELL) is a student whose home language is not English and who needs support learning English.

3-K and Pre-K

Some 3-K and pre-K programs offer Dual Language (DL) or Enhanced Language Support (ELS) programs. 

  • Find schools and programs that offer Dual Language or language supports in the MySchools Pre-K Directory by choosing your child's grade level and selecting "More Filters ." 
  • You can also see which programs have DL and ELS programs in the Pre-K Admissions Guide—PDF and accessible versions are available on our Pre-K page.
  • Contact programs directly to learn more about the services they offer.

Elementary School


  • All elementary schools offer English as a New Language (ENL), and some schools also offer Dual Language (DL) or Transitional Bilingual Education (TBE) programs.
  • Learn which schools offer Dual Language programs in the MySchools Kindergarten Directory.
  • You can also find this information in the Kindergarten Admissions Guide—PDF and accessible versions are available on the Kindergarten admissions page.

Gifted & Talented

  • ELLs participate in the same Gifted & Talented admissions process as students whose first language is English. Students learning English are encouraged to take the Gifted and Talented test.
  • When you sign up to take the G&T test, you can choose for your child to test in English, Spanish, Chinese, Bengali, Russian, Arabic, Urdu, Haitian Creole, Korean, or French.

Middle School

Students learning English may want to apply to programs that use a screened: language admissions method. These programs often give priority to English Language Learners (ELLs).

  • Find these programs and learn what services the middle school programs in your district (and borough, if you are eligible) offer for ELLs in the MySchools Middle School Directory .
  • You can also find program options in the Middle School Admissions Guide—PDF and accessible versions are available on our Middle School admissions page.

High School

  • High schools offer Dual Language (DL), Transitional Bilingual Education (TBE), and English as a New Language (ENL) programs. You can use the MySchools High School Directory to learn what services and programs each high school offers.
  • Learn about Specialized High Schools admissions, including English Language Learners' eligibility for supports and accommodations for the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) and/or LaGuardia High School auditions. Work with your school counselor to confirm testing accommodations for your test and/or audition.