Other Educational Settings

NY State Education Department Approved Non-Public Schools

These schools serve students with disabilities. They provide programs for children whose educational needs cannot be met in public school programs.

The IEP team will only consider these schools when all public school settings cannot meet your child’s needs. This does not mean that your child must be offered a placement in every possible public school setting before a NYSED Approved Non-Public School can be offered. Rather, the IEP team has to consider and rule out all other settings. The IEP team will seek your consent for new assessments.


NYSED-Approved Non-Public Schools are provided for:

  • The duration of the school day ("day"); or
  • 24-hours a day ("residential").

Residential Requirements

Children will only be considered for a residential program if:

  • Educational needs are so intensive that they require 24-hour attention; and
  • To meet these needs, the school provides intensive programming both
    • in the classroom, and
    • through a structured living environment on school grounds 24-hours a day.

If a child is being considered for a residential placement, the IEP team will seek your consent to invite an outside agency to support you at the IEP meeting.

Finding a School

If the IEP team or CSE recommends a non-public school placement on your child’s IEP, they will seek assistance from the Central Based Support Team (CBST). The CBST is the DOE office that matches students with state-approved non-public schools. A CBST case manager will apply to non-public schools for your child.

NYSED–Supported Schools

These schools (also known as “4201 schools”) provide intensive special education services to eligible children who:

  • Are deaf or blind; or
  • Have severe emotional disturbance or physical disabilities.

Students may attend a state-supported school for:

  • The duration of the school day; or
  • Five-day residential care if 24-hour programming is needed.

If you believe a state-supported school may be appropriate for your child, talk to the IEP team at your school or your local Committee on Special Education (CSE).

Medically Necessary Instruction

Learn about Medically Necessary Instruction and how to submit an application.

Medically Necessary Hospital Instruction

Hospital Instruction provides educational services for all school-aged public, private and parochial students who are hospitalized for chronic/acute medical, orthopedic, or psychiatric conditions. Our program adheres to all NY State Standards and establishes a close liaison with the student’s home school.

Charter Schools

If you are considering a charter school, ask their staff about how the school provides special-education services.

If your child is attending a charter school, and you want your child evaluated for eligibility for special education services, write a referral letter and mail, fax, or give the referral letter to your District Committee on Special Education (CSE).

The DOE will work with your child's charter school to ensure that they will receive IEP-recommended programs and services at that charter school.

Private or Religious Schools

Children who are, or will be, enrolled in a private or religious school in New York City at their families’ expense may be eligible to receive special education services from the DOE. If you want your child evaluated for eligibility, submit a written referral to the Committee on Special Education (CSE), who will conduct the evaluation.

If you live in New York City and your child is found eligible for special education, the IEP team will develop an Individualized Education Services Program (IESP). The IESP may include services such as Related Services, Special Education Teacher Support Services (SETSS), and/or transportation.

If you live outside of New York City and your child is enrolled in a private or religious school in New York City, the IEP team may develop a Services Plan (SP). The services recommended on your child's IESP or SP will be arranged at no cost to you.