Student Records and Transcripts

Transcripts help schools, students, and families track student progress in school. Students, parents, and guardians are allowed to view and get copies of student records, including transcripts. This is stated in the New York City Department of Education’s (DOE) Parents’ Bill of Rights and Student Bill of Rights.

What is a transcript?

A transcript is the official full record of high school credits, final grades, and exams taken within the NYCDOE. It documents the courses and exams that a student has taken during high school.

There are two different versions of the transcript that you may request. Your school may refer to either version as a “transcript.” The two versions have similar information, but are organized in different ways.

  • The “student transcript” is organized by year and term. In this version, all of your courses from the Fall 2017 term would be shown together in one section.
  • The “student permanent record” is organized by subject area. In this version, all of your courses in Social Studies would be shown together in one section.

What is the purpose of a transcript?

During high school, your school uses the information on your transcript to determine the courses and exams you need in order to stay on track for graduation.

You may also use your transcript to apply for opportunities after high school, such as colleges, jobs, or the military. During this time, your transcript is evidence of the coursework and exams you completed, your grades and academic achievements, and your graduation from high school.

How can I get a copy of my transcript?

Current Students

Your school should give you an unofficial transcript regularly. This allows you to check your transcript for accuracy and ask questions about your progress. If you have not received a copy of your unofficial transcript, contact your guidance counselor.

You can also request your official transcript at any time using the instructions on the Student Records page.

Former Students

Former students must submit a Student Records Request Form to their former school. This form can be found at the bottom of this page.

If you are the parent or guardian of a student under the age of 18, you can ask for a transcript from your child’s school by making a written request. When a student is 18 or older, the DOE will only honor transcript requests from the student. Students can give written permission to access records. 

Instructions on how to request student records can be found on the Requesting Student Records and Transcripts page. 


Operation Recognition allows eligible veterans to earn high school diplomas if they left school without graduating. Section 305 of the NYS Education Law created Operation Recognition to recognize the dedication and sacrifice of veterans who left school before graduation by awarding them a high school diploma. 

Instructions on how to apply for a diploma can be found on the High School Diploma for Veterans page.

How do I read a transcript?

You can print the following How to Read a Transcript document to use side-by-side with your transcript. The front of the document repeats the information from this webpage. The back of the document shows a sample transcript and explains the types of information on it.

This document comes in two versions, which match the two versions of a student transcript that were described above, “student transcript” and “student permanent record.” The How to Read a Transcript document can be used to guide you through a “student transcript.” The How to Read the "Permanent Record" document can be used to guide you through a “student permanent record.” Examples are provided below under Documents. You can print the version that matches the title at the top of your transcript.

How do I change my records to reflect my name and/or gender?

If you are attending an NYC public school, your school can change the name and gender stated on your records. If you left school or graduated from an NYC public school, contact the last DOE school you attended. You can change your name and/or gender on your records without legal documentation. Ask your school about requesting changes to your records.

Where can I find more information?