Specialized Transportation

The information below is for parents of children in kindergarten or older. Visit our pre-school education services page for preschool special education and Early Intervention services.

What is it?

The DOE provides specialized transportation to students whose Individual Education Programs (IEPs) recommend this service or to other students with disabilities who cannot take public transportation. Specialized transportation refers to school buses that are staffed by both a school bus driver and an attendant. Instead of being picked up at a centralized stop, the student is picked up at the closest, safest stop to their residence.

When is it provided?

Most students with IEPs travel to and from school in the same manner as students without IEPs. An IEP team may recommend specialized transportation for children whose documented needs affect their ability to travel to or from school. These needs can be:

  • Emotional
  • Behavioral
  • Cognitive or communication
  • Physical or medical

Some children may also require additional transportation accommodations to travel safely to and from school. These can include:

  • 1:1 transportation paraprofessionals
  • Medical/nursing services
  • Travel time limitations
  • Climate control
  • Safety vests
  • Car seats

How do I request specialized transportation services?

If your child has, or will have, an IEP

Your child’s school-based or CSE IEP team will address transportation needs as part of the Initial and Annual Review process of your child’s IEP. Please discuss any transportation-related concerns with your child’s IEP team. The IEP team will provide you with any necessary paperwork to complete as part of the review process, including:

  • Authorization for Release of Medical Information Pursuant to HIPAA: This is completed and signed by you.
  • Request for Medical Accommodations: This is completed and signed by your child’s doctor. It must explain the need for door-to-door busing and any other medical accommodations your child may need.

You can also get these forms on the Health Forms and Documents page on the Infohub.

If you would like the IEP team to consider additional medical documentation, you should provide it as far in advance of the IEP meeting as possible.

A physician from the Office of School Health (OSH) may review your request for specialized transportation accommodations. The OSH physician may participate in your child's IEP meeting for the part of the meeting in which transportation is discussed. You may also request that a DOE transportation specialist attend the meeting as well.

If your child does not have an IEP:

If your child does not have an IEP, refer to the general education grade/distance eligibility chart to determine which type of transportation your child will receive to his/her current school. If your child cannot use that method of transportation due to a temporary or permanent disability, work with your school to complete the appropriate transportation exception request.

For more information on transportation services, including how to access your student's school bus route, please visit our transportation web page.